A Little More History…
Knox Reformed Church (KRC) was reassigned from the First Presbyterian Church of Knox, founded in 1802. The Church Covenant and the pulpit Bible still exists. At the time, church attendance was irregular and only transient pastors were available to preach. In 1825, the Rev. J. Judson Buck, by all indications a devout and earnest minister, became the first settled pastor, and was installed over the Knox and Hamilton Union (Guilderland)
congregations. The church had 55 members at that time.
As the Dutch Reformed settlement began to increase in the village, so did a desire for a Dutch Reformed Church. Reorganization was freely discussed and a new church of 43 members was formed. The new church was received into the Classis of Albany on September 2, 1842.
The church at that time was a plain wooden building and stood a little below the present church site, just beyond the old cemetery which has long been known as the old Presbyterian Burying Ground. The original church was very plain and known as “God’s Barn“, but loved by those who worshipped there.
Rev. Joseph Kneiskern was the first pastor of the Knox Reformed Church (KRC). He was born in Berne and after his education at Rutgers College and New Brunswick Seminary, returned home to serve Knox and Second Berne (Thompson’s Lake) from 1841-1845.
After Rev. Kneiskern’s departure, Knox and Second Berne no longer joined in calling a minister until 1869. Knox almost immediately made an alliance with the Gallupville Church, organized in 1844 and the two churches had the same pastor until 1868. Although there are few records of that time period the new church was said to be built in 1850.
In, 1868, William H. Ballagh was installed as Pastor of the Knox and Second Berne churches. From that time to the present these two congregations have sustained a joint pastorate (except from 1884-1885 when Knox was without a pastor). A parsonage was purchased in 1868, with both churches paying one half of the expenses. This period was one of great activity, growth and promise. During this time, William H. Nasholds prepared himself to enter the ministry and was to become the first and only member who has gone on to serve his home church as pastor.
Rev. George M. Slocum, served as pastor beginning in 1879 and under his inspired preaching a spiritual awakening seemed to have taken place. The church continued to grow under the pastorates of Andrew Parsons (serving 1886-1894) and Henry Lockwood (1894-1901).
During 1902-1904, under the pastorate of Rev Jacob Van Ess, the church records show the building being moved to its current location and the construction of the church hall began.
William E. Davis, who served during 1912-1915, led a time of the great improvement in the church property – a new roof was added and the present church windows were installed. A pulpit was donated and a new communion table beautified the interior.
Through the years many Pastors and Reverend’s have graced our blessed building, as well as, many upgrades to the building and property. Most recently, on September 22, 2007 the handicap accessible Lift was dedicated by former Pastor Timothy Van Heest.
Knox Reformed Church is a friendly community church providing many resources to area residents, serving the Hilltowns of the Helderberg Mountain.